oops, new site host!

in a moment you'll be redirected to

designphiladelphia

7.08.2006

first friday fun @ the fabric workshop

oh my my my my my my my...






blacklight danny partridge prints in the bathroom, umbrellas hanging down from above, fabric trim in lieu of soffits... fantastic stuff.

i'm embarrassed to say last night was my first glimpse at the fabric workshop & museum... unfortunate that until this point i've been missing out on all the fun. this is not old biddies knitting socks, people... creative, fresh-minded people- young and old, men and women- turn out some really great items here (in what i consider one of the better gallery spaces i've seen). and the people agree- last night was jampacked full of those in the know.

and i haven't even touched on the workshop's store, factory, or sidestage displays.

side note- louise bourgeois is the current exhibition, which includes both the obligatory fiberwork as well as a multimedia performance video. a very intriguing exhibit from an artist with a sculptural background... you may have noticed another work of hers in town recently- the giant spider on the steps of the art museum. absolute madness, i love it.

more info:

fabric workshop and museum website- mission statement, fantastic pics, reviews, artists-in-residence, how to support, their history, just tons and tons of useful info

philly weekly's recent article- the workshop et al vs the pa convention center spread

jorge pardo, the man behind their recent renovations- an artist/designer who gets it, very nice. ;)

No comments: